Guiding Principles for Wetland Stewardship and Forest Management Technical Report
Publication Type: Technical Report
Date: December 2018
What is it?
The Guiding Principles for Wetland Stewardship and Forest Management Technical Report describes in detail the interactions between boreal wetlands and forests and how forest managers can use this information to help avoid or minimize adverse effects to wetlands. The report presents guiding principles for wetland stewardship and wetland avoidance and minimization planning considerations. This report is intended to be a reference document, providing supporting documentation and examples of how wetlands can be considered as part of forest management planning.
Who is it for?
This technical report is aimed at forestry professionals involved in forest management planning at the highest level, but may also be applicable to other forestry professionals in a range of positions. The technical report is aimed at audiences looking for detailed information. A user-friendly overview of key topics is found in the Practitioner Guide.
About the technical report
More than two-thirds of Canada’s boreal forest is covered by aquatic ecosystems including wetlands, lakes, rivers and streams. Boreal wetlands provide a wealth of ecological, social, and economic benefits that are important to society as well as the forest industry.
There is increasing evidence that wetlands and upland forests are interdependent. Because of these connections, sustainable forest management is key to sustaining healthy wetland habitats, and healthy wetlands are key to sustaining productive upland forests.
The information in this report is intended to assist forest managers in achieving improved wetland stewardship by:
- Building an enhanced understanding of wetlands in the Canadian boreal plains and their value to the forest sector and society as a whole
- Describing the interactions between wetlands, upland forests, and forest management
- Establishing wetland stewardship principles, objectives, and planning considerations that will result in positive environmental outcomes
- Providing practices and tools to consider during forest management planning to help avoid or minimize adverse effects to wetlands
- Identifying knowledge gaps and providing recommendations to fill those gaps
This report has also been made into a short, user-friendly Practitioner Guide.
The Guiding Principles for Wetland Stewardship and Forest Management Technical Report is a product of the FMWSI, a collaboration between Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. Canfor, the Forest Products Association of Canada (FPAC), Millar Western Forest Products Ltd., Tolko Industries Ltd., West Fraser, and Weyerhaeuser Company.